Exporting a Pet
If you will be travelling to another country with your pet, certain documentation is required in order to ensure that your pet can be properly exported and to avoid them being quarantined in the destination country or sent back to Canada.
Travelling to the US usually only requires a signed vx certificate, which states the Rabies vaccine is up to date.
To ensure that you have all of the proper documents and instructions for export prepared, please contact the following organizations:
1. CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) for travel documents
2. Airline(s) the pet will be travelling with. (Note that this may differ throughout your journey if there are connecting flights.
3. Canadian Embassy in the destination country.
The documents provided by these 3 sources needs to be reviewed and signed by a licensed veterinarian. The veterinarian is not responsible for gathering the documents or contacting the three resources above on your behalf.
The veterinarian is responsible for providing required exams and vaccinations within the timeframe laid out by the pet parent as per the export requirements. They are also responsible for reviewing and filling out the veterinary required parts of these documents.
The length of time required to complete such documentation can be significant. Therefore, a surcharge fee will apply. This fee is in addition to any of the exam or vaccination fees that are incurred to have the pet be considered able to be received by the country of destination. This fee is to be charged when the paperwork is dropped off at reception. This surcharge is known as Export (Travel) Documents Admin Fee.
Please note that it is ideal if you are able to drop all paperwork requiring doctor review and signature at least 2 weeks prior to the appointment with our veterinarian, or 2 weeks before you need it back.
This is an Ottawa based company that specializes in pet transport, and will work with the client to ensure all of their paperwork is correctly completed.
Contact your destination’s embassy for the latest requirements.
- Pet Friendly Travel – Dogs entering Canada from another country
- Travelling with your Pet to Europe
- Travelling with your Pet to Other Destinations
- Pet Friendly Hotel Guide
- Embark Pet Transport – Specializes in pet transport, and will work with you to ensure all of your paperwork is completed correctly.